FIRST MUNICIPAL PALACE

VALDÉS, VEUDI. (2023). NOTES AND RESEARCH – HISTORIAN CHRONICLER OF COZUMEL. INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY THE DIRECTORATE OF TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF COZUMEL

In the place that today occupies this building, where some government offices are locate, existed from the beginning of the repopulation the space for the consistorial palace, according to historical records in the decree of November 21, 1849, when the governor of Yucatan, Don Miguel Barbachano y Tarrazo, legally created the town of San Miguel de Cozumel, in the same place where the ranch of Miguel Molas had been in the twenties of that same XIX century.

Historically, it is known that the first City Mayor used to work from their homes until 1867, when this institution was created in the town of San Miguel. 

According to the decree of creation of the town, it was established the layout of the streets from a central space to accommodate a park, and the construction of the government building, the church, the school and the barracks around it.  

The first constructions of the Government Palace were made with perishable materials, rustic furniture and the only occupants were the City Mayor and Justice of the Peace, who were the first authorities of the newborn town.  

After those offices were totally destroyed by hurricane San Hipolito that hit the island on August 12, 1903, leaving standing only one house in the town of Cedral and half a dozen in San Miguel, the government of the political headquarters of the territory of Quintana Roo with headquarters in Chan Santa Cruz de Bravo, in charge of Gral. Ignacio A. Bravo, authorized in December 1904 a budget of $60.30 (sixty pesos and thirty cents) for the reconstruction of the building, a responsibility that was entrusted to the 2nd Justice of the Peace Mr. Félix Bonastre Vasconcelos. The money was the product of the sale of lime to raise the funds for that work.

This building was destroyed by two consecutive hurricanes on August 13 and 27, 1938, being governor of the territory General Rafael Eustasio Melgar Andrade, who ordered the total reconstruction of these offices (current facade).

This building functioned as a government delegation office until April 9, 1975 and from April 10 it was the offices of the first Constitutional City Hall, which in 1977 was moved to the building occupied by the current City Hall.

Dirección de Turismo y Desarrollo Económico

Altos de Plaza del Sol
Col. Centro
Cozumel, QROO MX


Tel. +52 1 987 86 90 212 turismo@cozumel.gob.mx