BENITO JUAREZ” MUNICIPAL MARKET

VIVAS VALDÉS, VEUDI. (2023). NOTES AND RESEARCH – HISTORIAN CHRONICLER OF COZUMEL. INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY THE DIRECTORATE OF TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF COZUMEL.

This building dates from 1981 and is the third building destined to the Municipal Market, the previous one was located on the corner of Rafael E. Melgar Avenue and Juarez Avenue, it was a building built in 1972 similar to the post office and was the one that replaced the first market that was 50 meters to the south which was called Emiliano Zapata and was inaugurated on April 10, 1938, on the occasion of the XIX anniversary of the death of the man known as the “Caudillo del Sur” (Leader of the South). Those were the years of the progressive government of Rafael Eustasio Melgar Andrade.

Before this first market the supply was traded from private homes and some used a small table to sell meat or fish in the shade of the laurel tree that existed in the northwest corner of Benito Juarez Park.

Dirección de Turismo y Desarrollo Económico

Altos de Plaza del Sol
Col. Centro
Cozumel, QROO MX


Tel. +52 1 987 86 90 212 turismo@cozumel.gob.mx