THE MUNICIPAL PUBLIC CLOCK

VIVAS VALDÉS, VEUDI. (2023). NOTES AND RESEARCH – HISTORIAN CHRONICLER OF COZUMEL. INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY THE DIRECTORATE OF TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF COZUMEL

This historic place was wisely selected by the first settlers to be the center of the new town, according to the guidelines established in the decree of November 21, 1849 for the erection of the town of San Miguel de Cozumel.

From the three sides of this plaza, today’s Juárez Avenue, 5th Avenue and 1st South Street, the layout of its first streets was born. For many years, this space housed the administrative, religious, economic and cultural center of San Miguel.

On its east side was the town hall, seat of the government, on its north side the space where the Catholic church was and then the land for the elementary school, and to the south the barracks. In 1910, in front of the government palace, the public clock commemorating the first centennial of the beginning of the war of independence was inaugurated.

With the passage of time everything has changed: the school, the government palace, the church and the barracks are now located in different places than originally planned, however, the main square or Juarez Park remains the central geographical point, with a modern layout where the tower of our centennial public clock stands majestically.

This tower is the only one made outside the official budget, that is to say, that in its totality labor, materials and cost of the first machinery, was covered by the citizens of that time that, signifying by their high civic spirit, participated as part of the patriotic committee in charge of the celebrations of the centennial of the beginning of our war of independence, leaving to the posterity imperishable example of love to the homeland, it has had few modifications and until today it works with the fourth machinery.

Our public clock is possibly the oldest work of Cozumel and the one that has withstood the onslaught of 15 hurricanes, which in little more than a century have affected us, including: Beulah, Gilberto and of course Wilma, still shows strength to continue as part of the landscape of Cozumel 

We owe this magnificent work to the Cozumel people of the beginning of the last century, and we would be unfair if we did not point out those who stood out in its realization: José Asunción Novelo Oribe, president of the patriotic committee; Julio Óscar Coldwell Anduze, City Mayor in 1910, year of the inauguration; José Hipólito Vivas Rejón, City Mayor in 1908, member of the patriotic committee and maximum contributor in cash for the purchase of the first machinery; Alberto Anduze Alcocer, watchmaker responsible for its maintenance.  

Dirección de Turismo y Desarrollo Económico

Altos de Plaza del Sol
Col. Centro
Cozumel, QROO MX


Tel. +52 1 987 86 90 212 turismo@cozumel.gob.mx