PORT CAPTAINCY

VIVAS VALDÉS, VEUDI (2023). NOTES AND RESEARCH – CHRONICLER AND HISTORIAN OF COZUMEL. INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY THE DIRECTORATE OF TOURISM AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF COZUMEL.

Because of its geographical location, Cozumel was important for navigation. The construction of lighthouses to guide sailors to the mainland, added a remarkable value.

In this place the Secretariat of the Navy since 1940 installed the Port Captaincy with permanent residence; without the corresponding Decree of Destination, so to regularize it was resolved to issue a Decree published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on June 8, 1967, “… the property located on Rafael E. Melgar Avenue and 12th and 14th streets north, in San Miguel de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, is incorporated to the public domain of the federation and is destined to the Secretariat of the Navy”. 

Before 1940, the port authorities possibly exercised their work in the building where the port works offices were located on Melgar Avenue between Juarez and 1st South.

Dirección de Turismo y Desarrollo Económico

Altos de Plaza del Sol
Col. Centro
Cozumel, QROO MX


Tel. +52 1 987 86 90 212 turismo@cozumel.gob.mx